What is Composable Commerce?
Composable commerce is the modern approach by which eCommerce teams are empowered to select and assemble various “best of breed” commerce solutions and compose them to satisfy their exact business requirements.
Check out our Composable Commerce Hub for all our Integrations and Accelerators!
Composable Commerce Tenets
Empower the business users to make changes to their digital strategy, enable new business models and create unique experiences without heavy reliance on IT.
Support more agile delivery, faster time to market, and improved customer experiences across all devices and touchpoints.
Composable Commerce Ecosystem
The Composable Commerce Ecosystem is comprised of all the applications necessary to power the architecture.
Traditional platforms: Why are we shifting away from them?
A traditional commerce platform comes equipped with a set of pre-existing functionality, bundled together as an “all-in-one” solution, from a single vendor. The platform approach has been largely positive, as businesses ventured down the path of doing business online for the first time and consumer expectations, at the time, drove the requirement for mostly simple, standardized commerce experiences.
No “One Vendor” can provide the best functionality for all applications you need for running your eCommerce experience. So, by going with this option you stand the risk of having basic capabilities of your complete tech stack; losing the ability to control and customize the functionality of your eCommerce Platform; and trying to fit your business requirements to their architecture.
Composable Commerce: How is it changing eCommerce experiences?
The Composable Commerce design principle leverages "best-in-class" commerce services, to deliver all the functionality you would have previously gotten exclusively from one eCommerce platform. This new approach utilizes the various vendors that provide much more robust functionality for the one thing they do, rather than relying on one vendor to produce standard functionality fit for everyone. Gartner also explains of how Composable Commerce is for the future.
Composable Commerce embraces uniqueness, differentiation and understands that “functionality fit for everyone” will not be enough. The composability technique empowers you to literally select and assemble functionality for your specific business requirements. Let this not be confused with being left alone on an empty canvas with just a bunch of vendors. This new approach is designed to be a web of vendor-supported technologies that emphasizes round the clock and assured support, reliability and security from a vendor like Elastic Path.
An example of a typical composable commerce stack would include best-in-class services covering all the capabilities commonly included in a traditional eCommerce Platform, such as order management, inventory, Salsify product information management (PIM), TaxJar for tax, shipping, fulfillment, Contentful for the content management system (CMS), and Stripe for the payment gateway, just to name a few. There is a healthy balance of functionality from your supported vendor and external expert commerce services within the stack, which eliminates the possibility of compromising for certain functionality for your commerce experience. This architecture caters to both your business and technical needs.
- Monetize any customer touchpoint.
- Deliver highly differentiated commerce experiences to stand against competitors.
- Enable commerce experiences with complex business requirements with pinpoint control and precision.
- Eliminate vendor lock-in risk with the ability to swap in/out components on demand over time as needed.
- Rapidly respond to changing business requirements.
- Leverage modern technology standards to reduce costs and increase operational efficiencies like system management and staffing.
Composable Commerce FAQs
Whereas traditional, platform approaches to commerce offer rigid, all-in-one functionality that is cumbersome and expensive to customize per your unique business requirements, Composable Commerce empowers brands with the flexibility to design and launch the experiences that “wow” customers and outpace the competition. With Composable Commerce brands can:
- Launch and optimize unique, brand-centric experiences according to your specific requirements. No more settling for cookie-cutter, out-of-the-box functionality from platforms.
- De-risk your commerce vision and accelerate to-to-market. No more innovation projects that turn into an albatross.
- Leverage proven, “best of breed” solutions. No more compromising business continuity and job security for risky, unproven technologies in order to chase your vision.
- Easily swap technologies in and out as your needs change over time. No more “let’s figure out how to use what we have.”
Composable Commerce is the only approach to commerce that was built with both speed and flexibility in mind. It is the only approach for brands who are committed to keep up with their customers demands with engaging experiences. Gartner advocated this point in their 202 report “Composable Commerce Must Be Adopted for the Future of Applications” by sharing one key prediction: “By 2023, organizations that have adopted a composable approach will outpace competition by 80% in the speed of new feature implementation.”
- Managing multiple vendors and navigating support across them
- Composing various microservices can seem intimidating for teams without an implementation partner or in-house technical team
- Fear of the unknown with your internal teams
The Composable Commerce Hub provides an open exchange of composable solutions for eCommerce brands to create complete commerce experiences for their customers. It includes Pre-Composed Solutions™ for brands who want to rapidly launch with optimize on demand and Accelerators for brands who want to custom compose their unique commerce solution.Go to Composable Commerce Hub
Yes! Elastic Path is more than just a Headless Commerce platform that powers innovative experiences. We provide the complete solution brands need to embrace Composable Commerce and deliver business results. Together Elastic Path Commerce Cloud, the Composable Commerce Hub, and Composable Commerce XA™ equip brands with everything they need to rapidly turn their commerce vision into a revenue engine with Composable Commerce.
Composable Commerce Resources