Previous PlatformIBM Websphere
“Going into this replatforming project, we knew we required a customized user interface. Composable Commerce enables us to have a cutting edge user interface and the ability to create the customer experience that we want and not be beholden to our Commerce solution.”
A B2B business model, Illumina works with various businesses and corporations, including customers buying directly off their site, distributors and channel partners, and eProcurement channels. These complex customer groupings require a nuanced eCommerce strategy, it became apparent that the existing solution did not have the flexibility to meet the customer experience they aspired to obtain.
- Sub-Par Customer Experience: Incohesive customer journey with purchasing and technical limitations.
- Revenue Growth Challenges: Quote redemption restrictions, slow site performance, technical limitations that discouraged channel adoption.
- Obsolete Technology: Out-dated slow performing system with limited capabilities to integrate into other systems in Illumina’s ecosystem.
- Repetitive Manual Tasks: Lack of automation, slow site performance forcing the customer care and service teams to spend time manually executing orders and tasks.
Selecting a Vendor
Illumina knew they wanted to take a Headless Commerce approach and would need to replatform to a cutting-edge technology to enable them to customize the user experience. In their path to replatforming they had four main goals:
- All Purchasing Online: Enable Illumina users to purchase online any Illumina product regardless of type, channel, or product class.
- Support Global Expansion: Deliver best-in-class website performance on a global level and support purchasing methods and devices that are required at a regional level.
- Deliver Best-In-Class Customer Experience: Improve the customer’s path to purchase, create a true omnichannel experience with front and back-end integration.
- Ensure Long-Term Stability: With the existing provider, IBM Websphere being end of life, select an eCommerce vendor that can partner and support Illumina’s long-term goals.
"We selected Elastic Path after a rigorous RFP process that involved 5 vendors. Elastic Path stood out with their product capabilities, the low total cost of ownership, and level of engagement” says Ash Trasi, Director of GIS Commerce - Digital Experience.
Continue your eCommerce education
Discover Composable Commerce
Composable Commerce is the modern approach by which eCommerce teams are empowered to select and assemble various “best of breed” commerce solutions and compose them to satisfy their exact business requirements.
Join industry experts, featured speaker Mike Lowndes, Senior Director Analyst at Gartner and Sal Visca, CTO at Elastic Path, as they talk about the concepts behind Composable Commerce and how you can leverage the approach to build a commerce strategy.
Learn how to take back control of your digital commerce strategy in this 10-part miniseries which introduces a new approach advocated by Gartner for how to build modern commerce experiences, called Composable Commerce.