May 30th, 2013 | 1 MIN READ

Why Responsive Email Matters [Infographic]

Written by author_profile_images Linda Bustos

Linda is an ecommerce industry analyst and consultant specializing in conversion optimization and digital transformation.

While we all get hyped up about responsive design for websites, let's not forget responsive email. EmailMonks has compiled some data on how and when mobile users check email on their devices (via SmartInsights).

With only 25% of companies observed sending mobile-friendly email, and 73% of US mobile users checking email on their devices daily, sub-optimal email experience should keep many a marketer up at night.

Responsive email infographic for ecommerce marketers

Click to enlarge


  • 43% of emails are read over mobile devices, expected to top 50% by end of 2013 Tweet this
  • 73% of Americans check email on their smartphone daily, 62% in UK, 57% in Australia Tweet this
  • 43% of mobile email users check email 4+ times/day vs. 29% that don’t use mobile email Tweet this
  • iPhone leads all email clients for email opens (yes, even desktop) with 23% (Outlook 19%, Gmail 4%) Tweet this
  • Only 3% of email users view a single email on both mobile and desktop. The other 97% are read only once. Optimize for mobile! Tweet this
  • Mobile is the preferred device for checking email on the weekend Tweet this
  • 38% of mobile users open emails based on interesting subject lines, 23% to pass time Tweet this
  • Top 3 preferred email messages: special offers (27%), promo/voucher (21%), order tracking/delivery info (21%) Tweet this
  • 75% of companies do not create mobile friendly email Tweet this

Share on


Thanks for signing up!

You'll receive a welcome email shortly.

By submitting this you agree with our privacy policy.