Jason forwarded me this funny ecommerce site and I didn’t know what to expect when I clicked on the link…but have a look for yourself.
The Norwegian estore Arngren.net inspired me to write a tongue-in-cheek usability evaluation. Because it's Friday, I thought it would be appropriate to point out 13 usability problems on this ecommerce site...
1. Too much white space. Arngren should take notes from the Million Dollar Homepage.
If you want to be a big player in ecommerce, you need to show ALL your cards up front, or people are only going to hit the “back” button faster than you can say "abandøn kart!"
2. Needs an advertising revenue stream. I'm not talking just Google Adsense, I mean full-on Kontera ads.
3. Needs animated gifs – far more animated gifs. The dancing robot and spinning car wheels are placed way too far below the fold. We want 'em front and center.
4. Hit counter is a nice touch but I am also interested in eyeball tracking stats.
5. Pop up window – There really needs to be an ad that floats from the top center of your screen…perhaps in the shape of a helicopter (with sound effects). Only, it should remain on the screen and rather than close when you hit the ‘x’ button, it should open up a series of unrelated offers.
6. They need some creative add to cart buttons that would really set them apart from the competition. May I suggest: “PUT THIS ITEM INTO A VIRTUAL BASKET SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU WOULD CARRY AROUND IN A SUPERMARKET UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO PURCHASE YOUR ITEMS" (all caps)?
7. I’d like to see a list of things they don’t sell. Just so we’re clear about that. Come on, what might I also like?
8. I don’t see anywhere where I can trade links for my New Jersey real estate website.
9. Needs blinking text for the items that are on sale.
10. These days, the web is all about customization. And personalization. There needs to be a way to skin the site with your favorite MySpace layout or textured Windows XP wallpaper.
11. It's missing a "Digg This" button. How do they expect to make it to the first page of Digg? Maybe offer 25% off for every Digg.
12. It’s an impressive title tag, but they need some exclamation marks in there. Too many commas! In fact, they should have more exclamation marks throughout the site!
13. They forgot Waldo. But don't worry, I fixed that for them.