The 17 Rs of Mobile Marketing
The 17 Rs of Mobile Marketing
1. Review your mobile analytics and determine what percent of your visitors are using mobile devices to access your website. Tablets, iPads, iPhones and other smartphones are becoming common devices for accessing the Web.
2. Relevant messages are a critical part of mobile marketing. If your customers are receiving SMS text messages from your business that do not foster your relationship with them, they may unsubscribe from your services – or, even worse, stop buying altogether.
3. Request feedback from your subscribers; ask how they perceive your mobile marketing campaigns. You can do this through regular e-mail; or send a brief SMS message asking them to visit your website and fill out a feedback survey.
4. Recruit customers and prospects who are receptive to your mobile marketing campaigns. You can encourage new subscribers through contest or other types of incentives. Be sure to point out to your customers the added value mobile marketing messages will bring to them.
5. Registering for your mobile marketing programs should be easy, but do not underestimate the importance of publishing your privacy statement and describing how you intend to use your subscribers’ information.
6. Rate the usefulness of your campaigns to your subscribers. Do they provide “insider information” that is released to mobile marketing subscribers before anyone else?
7. Regional or location-centric messages can be very valuable to your customers, particularly when they are encouraged to visit a local office or store for a special promotion, or when there is a conference, seminar, or event nearby that would be worthwhile for them to participate in.
8. Reminders about time-sensitive information or tasks are another great use of mobile marketing messages—especially when a special deal is approaching its end date.
9. Respect the frequency of mobile message use. Too many SMS or MMS messages can cause your subscribers to become unsubscribers. Also, if you send too many messages, your subscribers will begin to disregard them.
10. Return important status information if subscribers elect to receive the notification. “Your order has been filled, and here is your tracking number” is one notification that many customers find helpful.
11. Respond to any replied texts as you would any other customer service or marketing inquiry. Text messages are just as important as phone calls or letters.
12. Record and document any concerns, complaints, or other feedback; then act on concerns or complaints in a timely manner. Sometimes, this may mean a change in the campaign strategy.
13. Responsible campaigns and programs will encourage customers to be on the lookout for the next notification. Design your campaigns to be brief yet tantalizing to your target groups.
14. Referral campaigns can be an effective way to gain new subscribers and customers. Encourage your existing customers to spread the word, and offer an incentive to boost their motivation.
15. Rely on good systems and software that deploy your mobile marketing messages reliably, and that measure and provide statistics, such as the number of successful receipts and any returned errors.
16. The reality is that mobile marketing is new, and therefore not many companies have fully adopted a mobile marketing strategy for their business clients. Also, not all customers want to receive SMS, MMS, or other mobile marketing messages. However, a growing number of users are today relying heavily on mobile devices and so would welcome the opportunity to receive your mobile notices. Have patience; recognize that this is a growing market segment—and the growth rate is definitely accelerating.
17. Rapid adaptation to new trends and techniques in mobile marketing must be incorporated into your plan’s strategy. If a mobile campaign is not working, or if there is a better way to implement a program, do not hesitate to change your plans. Keep in mind, mobile users often expect frequent changes, so don’t be afraid to institute routine changes and improvements as part of your mobile marketing strategy.
If you'd like to check out the rest of Go Mobile, you'll find info on your mobile advertising and marketing options, how to create your mobile marketing strategy, set up a mobile website and measure your success.