Bloggers Digest - Reader's Choice Edition
Greetings from the Canadian Rockies! This will be a quickie Bloggers Digest as I'm in Banff, Alberta this week and have not had much time to pour over Google Reader (I feel so out of touch). I thought I'd open it up to you this week also - please link to your favorite ecommerce/Internet marketing post of the week (even if it's your own) through the comments. Perhaps we'll all discover some new feeds to add to our RSS readers.
Jason Billingsley was also away this week at Shop.org's Spring Online Marketing Workshop in Scottsdale, Arizona. If you attended and caught Jason's session, please leave a comment too.
I also want to apologize as we've been having issues with our spam filter - many legit comments are getting auto-disapproved and I must approve them manually. If your comment doesn't show up right away it may take a day or so for me to manually approve it. Thanks again for your comments, we really appreciate hearing from you.
- I'm up here in Banff for a new media for broadcasting and television conference, so we've been discussing breaking technologies in interactive TV, mobile, widgets and more. More and more I'm convinced that we're going to see video emerge as an essential ecommerce element the way we consider product images and multiple image views essential today.Rishi from BetterRetail.Blogspot.com spotted a TechCrunch article about Shopflick. Shopflick is a social shopping engine where you view video clips posted by sellers about their stores and products. Users can bookmark, tag and share videos like YouTube, and you can purchase from seller stores like eBay. Currently in Beta, this will be one to watch.
- Big news for the analytics world, Yahoo has acquired IndexTools. Eric T. Peterson shares his opinion on what this means for webmasters and the analytics industry. Be sure to catch next Thursday's webinar with Eric if you want a chance to pick his brain on analytics for online retailers.
- A big welcome back to Matt from eCommerce Optimization, who has been MIA from blogging. He's back with a bang, having spotted Google Products listings within regular Google results in a new fashion - I've been wondering when we'd see something like this, looks like it's underway.
- What's the difference in click through rates and time spent on site for each of the top 10 positions on the first page of Google results? Here's a nifty chart. You may be interested in this too: Zappos' repeat customer/sales per customer data, 2001-2006. Rishi, where did you get this?
- Are you an online retailer interested in SEO? Rebecca Kelley wants to know what you expect from SEO-based talks at Shop.org conferences. Jason Billingsley and I would also love to hear your suggestions. Please leave a comment here.
- The Google Webmaster Central blog posts a public service announcement of sorts on how to recover when your site has been hacked. It's a good idea to bookmark this article, although I hope you never have to refer to it.