A Responsive Infographic on Responsive Design
This week's infographic from Sitefinity Responsive Design: The Only Mobile Strategy That Scales is not just on the topic of responsive design, it's itself responsive. Go ahead and play around with it (hint: make your browser window skinny and wide). I've sized it narrow for your responsive viewing pleasure.
- There aren't 2 webs (mobile and desktop), rather, there's multiple devices used to access 1 web.
- Mobile strategies centered around one device neglect most visitors.
- Specialized website for one device
- Straight-forward to create
- Less code="lighter"
- Doesn't address spectrum of devices in use today
- Duplicated content
- Not aligned with SEO best practices*
- Very specialized and optimized task-focused experience
- Device-specific capabilities (geo-location, notifications)
- Constant reminder of your brand/site
- Difficult to create and must be created for multiple platforms
- Must pre-package for multiple app stores
- Sits outside the CMS
I'll add that app stores take a cut of in-app transactions that could be avoided through an HTML5 or responsive site, and development talent and time can be expensive, especially when you want to serve beyond Apple and Google environments.
- One website for all devices
- Naturally SEO friendly
- Aligned with best practices
- Coexists with other mobile strategies
- Challenging to set-up, maintain and test
- Difficult to apply to large existing sites
- No unique device experiences